Thursday, October 21, 2010

a few km later..

The past few days have been quite exciting!! including things like climbing mountains, staying in homeless shelters... the usual right?




Neah Bay ended very well, and I am very glad that I went there! On the morning of October 16th, the day after my last post, I rode my bike to Cape Flatterly (You will see on "Where I Am" a waypoint at the most Western point of Washington). From that point, I was spying on Port Renfrew!!! I thought that that was pretty cool.





You can see the Island behind me in the distance








It was not just the view of Vancouver Island that caught me, Cape Flatterly is a generally beautiful area!






rough terrain!! poor Franchesqua!






more beautiful scenery from the cape





While I was at the Cape, I met a girl named Lindsy, from Virginia on her very own adventures. It chanced that this girl Lindsy was planning on hitting Shi Shi beach next (where I, also, was going) and had a bike rack; I hitched a ride with her.

Shi Shi Beach was spectacular. A long beach ending in huge rock pillars and arches on either side.

Lindsy and I could not resist the temptation to sit down and have a nice collaborative lunch: smoked salmon, vegetarian chili, and rice. It was rather nice to have someone else to help experience the beauty of such an area.





one of those pillars I mentioned, this one appears to be sideways.









lots of pillars and arches on our right,









even more to our left; beautiful beach!









The muck we had to hike through to get there. It was very worth it!


When we got back to the car, we parted ways

Thanks for a great time Lindsy!

I rode back to Vicky and Francesca's house from the beach and, after packing up all of my things, I then made my departure by Clallam County Transit (in my opinion, best rural transit service ever!!) to Forks: Vampire Town!!




I was unable to get a-hold of my couch surfing contact in Forks, so I was thinking I might camp out; however, the bus driver, Doug, let me crash at his house for the night. We had lots of great conversation and in the morning, we had steak and eggs. Doug then sent me off with a safety vest and a rock climbing harness, off to Quinault Lake!

Thanks Doug!! You Rock!




After riding a whopping (in my opinion) 110 km, I arrived into Quinault, and made the executive decision to buy myself an actual dinner for the first time on my trip. It was a wonderful thing. I then proceeded to Willaby Campground where I was planning to spend the night. My initial impression of the campground was that it was empty, however, after a little search, I did in fact find some very awesome neighbors who gave me beer and more delicious food upon arrival.

Jesse, Stephanie, and Amic (said neighbors) were planning on going on a hike the next day, and I joined them! The four of us climbed Colonel Bob the morning of the 17th, and had an amazing time doing it! when we finally reached the top, I am pretty sure all four of us passed right out for at least a few minutes.





fire weed along the hike






real nice views






it was cold up there in the shade!






there I am, looking over the Olympics






(from left to right) Jesse, Stephanie, Amic, and myself.






After we came down, I hitched a ride with Jesse and Amic to Aberdeen, as they were already headed in that direction, and then I found myself in a strange predicament.





After arriving, I tried to go to the hostel in Aberdeen, despite the bad reviews. I was told that I could not stay there. Not because it was full, but because this particular hostel is the only one in the world (I'm pretty sure) that requires a reservation. So there I was, in the street of a grungy town as it was starting to turn to night. I was lucky enough to meet up with another Canadian who knew the area pretty well, and he suggested a place for me to stay: the local union gospel mission. I called them up and I stayed there on a top bunk. If you know me, you might know how different this experience was for me; however, it was free, and they fed me. When the early morning of the next day came, on I went further South huffing and puffing as I pedaled. I arrived into Raymond, my goal for the night after almost 90 km. But again, I had no place to stay due to the lack of Internet I had had the previous nights.





I was on a mad search for Wifi; I was lucky enough to have found a small coffee shop in South Bend (3 or so miles from Raymond) that provided Wifi, and checked out the potential surf spots. There was only one available place, and I hoped real bad that this person answer my emails! As it turned out, she, being Chanda, did reply with a yes!!! I caught Chanda as she was on her way to teach her yoga class, she invited me to join. My muscles screamed with joy!! All of that went well, and so did my sleep; so well I stayed a second night to recooporate from all my mountain climbing and biking.

The second night was even better: Chanda invited a friend of her's over, and I stuffed the three of us with a yummy dinner! Great fun!









How often do couchsurfers get to eat like this?


South Bend was a Beautiful Place, but I needed to try and keep up with the sun, so off I went.









The old Court House










nice views from the coffee shop










nice views from the coffee shop


We come to yesterday, where I rode some 122 km. Right from South Bend, to Astoria, Oregon.

I had planned to stay in Long Beach, however, my hosts did not get back to me in time. I was either to camp in Long Beach, or go right to Astoria. As it turned out, I made really great time and was able to check out Long Beach!



While on my way, I reached 500 km on my trip odometer,

I had to do 60 km before lunch





the view at 500





A mushroom was on the side of the road: Amic, Steph, and Jesse, what kind is this one?





same ol' mushroom





this is a crazy long beach





beautiful trail to ride at long beach!












views from the trail















When I reached the Astoria Bridge, I could not stop smiling and laughing.

that is a whole lotta' bridge!



After what seemed like ages on the Astoria Brigde, I arrived down town. Although I don't have any pictures, it was a beautiful little place. I got a place in the hostel, and slept soundly!

I am now headed to seaside, where I will decide whether to go to Portland, or stick to the coast.







I am done with that washington thing!!! this map below shows where I went. Dotted lines depict me getting a ride, and the solid lines represent what I did on my bike.























I have made a discovery. when someone tells me "it's only a few more miles", the word "only" is not appropriate. 3 miles is quite a bit more work than 3 kilometers.



Sprecial Thanks to

Doug: The best bus driver ever!!!!!

Chanda and Elijah: Thank you so much for letting me stay both nights!!! I really enjoyed my time spent with you guys! (too bad Chuck was not present!)

Stephanie, Jesse, and Amic: I had an absolutely amazing time with the three of you! thanks so much for feeding me, beering me, and bringing me along on such a nice hike! (I know I am spelling "Amic's" name wrong.. sorry!)

2 comments:

  1. Waayyy to go rob! I've been Checking this daily to hear from you and it's nice to know you are doing really good. I'm really proud that you are meeting and making such great friends!

    Hopefully we will get to meet up in South America!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob, I know you have that crazy ability to meet awesome people but it sounds like that ability's working overtime! Sounds like you're having a total blast, great entries! Keep it! -Brian S.

    ReplyDelete