Friday, October 15, 2010

Here I am in Neah Bay

I left Canada on my own for the first time in my life on Tuesday morning; I took the 10:30 Coho Ferry From Victoria.  I was caught offgaurd at loading time when I found out that I, being on my bike, was not considered a vehicle! (does anyone else find that odd?), in stead I was a VERY awkward walk on passenger.  Thankfully, I was not the only person in such a situation.  A fellow bike-ist, Ian from the Okanagan, also happened to beheading South; though he was heading directly to San Fran, I thought it might be interesting to meet up again as I pass through to compare travel stories.  Ian and I parted when we left the boat, both off on grand adventures.
    When I arrived into town at Port Angeles, I went to my Hostel "Thor Town" to figure out if I was missing anything for the next days ride.  the only thing I really needed was an ipod charger, because the one that I had bought earlier that same day in Victoria did not work (Oh yeah, Brother Andy gave me an iPod Touch for my trip, it is really handy!). so off I went to find one of those as well as a few groceries.  When I returned, I started making my dinner Claude, my roommate for the evening came in.
  Claude is a young man from Quebec who also happened to be on his way to South America as well, though his method of transportation is mainly by use of his thumb.  We were also thinking we might like to meet up to compare adventures. 

Thor Town (stolen from Hostelz.com)

That was my Tuesday, and immediately proceeding Tuesday, as we all know, comes Wednesday.  On Wednesday, I rode 85 km to Clallam Bay along the scariest road to exist (I'm sure) in the US, 112; it is even comparable to the road from Port Albernie to Uke.  Scary though it was, the breath taking views that I saw along this threatening road were worth the risk (well, nearly).  In future, I plan not to ignore local people's warnings. 

I am very happy to be off that road for a moment
           When I arrived in Clallam Bay I was initially surprised, as I intended to stop and have a break at a community that I read on the map to be 15 or so km prior to Clallam Bay; I apparently missed it.  Regardless of how I missed a little town, I knew two things: that I was intending to camp, and that I needed some fresh vegetables to do so.  To aquire the veg, I rolled into a little organic food co-op.
          At this particular shop, I met first, Terry and Jane, and then to join them, George.  The trio could possibly be the nicest people in the world.  Having seen my bike, Terry and Jane asked my about my trip and found out about my couch surfing, the two then began phoning the whole town in search of availiable couches.  I ended up staying with a particularly amazing woman named Karen, and her foster son Mannie, both of whome made me feel truely welcome into their home.  After a bit of fishing with mannie and a filling dinner, my agenda read a good night's sleep!  The next stop for me was Neah bay. 
A beautiful view of late afternoon in Clallam Bay

Terry, Jane and George.  The three were more than happy to make an aquaintance

This nice couple that I met at the beach at Clallam Bay apparently knows Luise from Bikeworks!  how crazy is that?
at least that is what conclusion we came to.  Their names are Barney and Mary from Gypsy. Barney being a banjo player
The two would really love to hear from you Louise! and I'd really like to hear about the Bike works! email me at robert.wslade@gmail.com to find out their address!! 



Clallam bay beach

Karen and Mannie's home in Clallam Bay; an artistic little home

I had infact hesitated traveling to Neah Bay, however, this evening I am finding that I am very glad I did.  Vicky, my house-stay, and her daughter Francesqua are both very wonderful people.  Vicky seems in my eyes in a type of mother goose position: she just loves to take in travelers like myself under her wing for a few days to make them feel at home and exchange stories.  As for tomorrow, I will first be experienceing some of the most amazing sights to be seen, and then off to Forks I go.
I'll keep posting

A long long beach beside the road.  It was like this all the way from Clallam to Neah

A real windy road  beautiful scenery

I would like to offer my sincere gratitude to the following:
          Terry and Jane from the Organic Co-op in Clallam who gave me great experience and great conversation (and great produce!) I look forward to seeing you two again
         Karen and Mannie from Clallam -- my unexpected hosts-- thank you so much for inviting me into your home!!  I really appreciate it
         Vicky and Francesca of Neah Bay whose experiences and stories are truely enriching, I felt very welcome in your home
         The logging truck drivers of 112, thanks for not running me over! phewph!






4 comments:

  1. awesome! we are both on grand adventures!
    =)
    (I wish I had a bike, although it's getting chilly)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to Go Rob.!!! Sounds like you are having a blast!!
    -Dan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well aren't you just the best writer on the planet?
    George came into the Coop this afternoon saying, you better look up the going-south-by-bike blog and read about the three best people around here. Thank you Rob, and bless you and your spirit of adventure. Linsie came in yesterday, thank you for your faith in life and your care forthe well being of others, you are a jewel. Jane, Terry and George
    PS: I have linked you to our web site. Happy trails!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rob. Sounds like your travels are going very well. I had a good ride down to Olympia and am now taking the train Eugene OR to speed up the trip a bit. I'm not used to biking this much and only ride about 30 to 40 miles per day. Having a good time though. Email if you like ianhartbc@gmail.com

    ian the ferry guy.

    ReplyDelete