Monday, October 11, 2010

the first day: 60.68km

I left this morning at about 11am, and with my friends and father to send me off, made my way to victoria for the night.  I was lucky enough for my dad, Paul, to come with me all the way; it was his first longer bike trip in a long, long time (not to say you're old dad, because you're not).  Thanks so much everybody!!
As my father, Paul, takes a picture, all but myself find lifting their bike to be an easy task (Mill Bay ferry terminal)

I had an absurdly lucky day in that I had only one break down (being the first day, there is usually room for lots of breakdowns).  This particular mechanical malfunction resulted from myself neglecting to tighten the bolts on my rear rattrap.  I lost one of these particular bolts while on the Brentwood bay ferry somehow (sabbatage?! haha)  Coming off of the ferry into brentwood bay, I immediately noticed something was wrong, and held up ferry traffic while I tried to figure things out.  It turned out that the loose rattrap knocked my quickrelease to "release" and loosened my wheel to rub the side of my frame.
Soon enough we were back on the road, thanks to a very kind stranger who chanced to have his antique store open on the holiday monday.  we arrived in victoria at almost exactly four o'clock, with 60.68 km my my odometer. 


My full load is a lot!  holy geeze!  we estimated it to be something around 75 pounds?  I will try to get a somewhat accurate measurement in near future.
fully loaded Franchesqua complete with empty plastic water cup

My next week is planned like this:
            tuesday: take Coho to port angeles, stay night in local hostel (I know easy day!)
            wednesday: attempt a ride to callalm bay (apprx. 80km), camp out in the bush a ways either way
            thursday:  ride to Neah Bay (apprx. 35km), stay with first couch surfing host! 
I hope to make my next entry on Thursday night.
I also hope that everyone had a great Canadian Thanksgiving!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Rob!
    Sorry I forgot to give you a hug! What a terrible brother.. Give me a call via Skype once you figure out that handy device.
    Be safe!
    -Andy

    ReplyDelete